How to Avoid Car Buying Scams
HOW TO AVOID CAR BUYING SCAMS WHEN YOU SELL YOUR USED CAR
Time to get rid of that junk car taking up space in your driveway? If so, chances are you’re looking for a few things:
- You want it gone quickly
- You want top-dollar for your junk car
- You want the process to go as smoothly as possible
One thing’s for sure, you’re definitely not looking to get ripped off. While there are plenty of trustworthy businesses that buy junk cars, there are also many people out there who run junk car buying scams. Here are a few tips on how to safely sell a used car and avoid used car buying scams.
HOW TO SAFELY SELL A USED CAR
1. Make sure your buyer has an online presence - Having a website, a business address, and customer reviews mean the person coming to your home to purchase your vehicle has a reputation - and a way to get in contact with them if something goes wrong.
2. Reliable payment method - Ask how you will be paid for your junk car. Buying from an individual always runs the risk of you receiving a bad check, whereas an established business is far more trustworthy is less likely to be running a car selling scam or car-buying scam.
3. Look out for warning signs - A reputable buyer won’t negotiate much without asking to see the car first. Also, a buyer should ask you about your vehicle’s paperwork. If they don’t care about paperwork, that could be a red flag for an online car buying scam.
4. Be as clear as possible when describing the condition of your car - When anyone (an individual or a business) is buying your junk car, they’re taking a risk in giving you a quote, site unseen. To reduce the risk of them needing to double-back on their offer, be 100% honest about the condition of your car.
5. Ask about any extra costs - Make sure to find out if you need to bring your car in or if they will pick it up. If your car won’t drive, will they provide a tow? Who pays for the tow? Are there any other additional fees you will be responsible for? Any reputable business should have a full list of any potential fees and you should not be hit with any surprises.
6. Trust your gut - If something feels off to you, pass on that buyer and find another one. Buyers shouldn’t insist on coming to your house at late hours. They should have normal hours of operation and should follow the law. Trust your instincts.
Selling your junk car doesn’t have to be a tough process, but it can require checking out a few options before you find the right one for you.
And when you’re ready to sell your junk car for fast cash, reach out to Pull-A-Part for an instant quote. We will even pick up cars for cash when we buy junk cars. Avoid the scams and sell your junk car to us.
Call or fill out the form below for your free quote
Is this car complete?
For a car to be complete, the following criteria must be met:
- No major mechanical components are missing, including the catalytic converter, engine or transmission
- All wheels are included
- All major body parts are intact, including all doors, hood and trunk