ABOUT THE USED CAR BATTERY
WHAT IS THE CAR BATTERY?
A car battery is a rechargeable battery that is used to start the engine of the vehicle.
WHAT DOES THE PART DO?
The car battery provides power to the electric starter which will then give power to the vehicle’s engine to activate. A car battery is critical to the start-up of the vehicle.
WHAT DOES THE PART LOOK LIKE?
A car battery is shaped like a cube and has connectors at its top. The car battery will have a plastic casing that protects its interior materials.
WHERE IS THERE PART TYPICALLY LOCATED ON THE VEHICLE?
The car battery is located under the hood of the vehicle, near the car’s starter. The car battery sits on a battery tray and it is typically locked into place with a brace.
WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR IN A USED BATTERY?
There are several factors that you have to look for when shopping for a used car battery:
- Look at the car battery’s age - You will want to look for a car battery that is less than four years old. While some car batteries can last up to six years, you will be better off with a used car battery less than four years old.
- The shape of the battery - An old car battery will begin to lose its shape as it ages. A misshapen used car battery should be avoided.
- Check for corrosion - An old battery will begin to develop corrosion. Corrosion will appear as orange and green stains on its body and around the connectors.
- Take a look at the warranty - Finally, be sure to take a look at the warranty of the car battery. If there is no warranty on the used car battery, then you may want to avoid purchasing it.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW ABOUT A CAR BATTERY BEFORE I PURCHASE ONE?
Here are some things that you should know about a used car battery before you make a purchase:
- Battery size - Make sure that you buy a used car battery that can fit in the battery tray of your vehicle.
- Power requirement - Check the Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) and Cranking Amps (CA) required for the battery when starting at 32 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Type and position of terminals - Make sure you purchase a used car battery with terminals that are compatible with your vehicle.
WHAT OTHER PARTS ARE CONNECTED OR THAT I MAY NEED FOR THIS PART?
You may need battery connectors when you replace your car battery.
WHAT SIGNS OF WEAR SHOULD I LOOK AT WHEN BUYING A USED CAR BATTERY?
Be sure to look for signs of corrosion around the car battery. Corrosion will appear as orange and green stains around the connectors and other parts of the battery. Also, make sure that the battery has maintained its shape.
WHAT IS THE AVERAGE LIFESPAN OF A CAR BATTERY?
The average lifespan of a car battery is about four to six years.
WHEN SHOULD THE PART BE REPLACED?
A car battery should be replaced if you notice the following signs on your vehicle:
- Dim lights
- Misshaped car battery
- The car makes a clicking sound at start-up
- Signs of corrosion on the car battery
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT TIRES AND WHEELS
HOW MUCH IS A USED CAR BATTERY?
A used car battery can range in price from $15 to $50 depending on the age and the quality of the battery.
HOW DO YOU KEEP A CAR BATTERY FROM DYING WHEN NOT IN USE?
You can keep a car battery from dying when not in use by keeping the battery cool, keeping it clean and getting a battery charger.
WHAT’S THE BEST CAR BATTERY TO BUY?
The top car batteries recommended by Autoweek include the following:
- Optima Redtop Battery
- ACDelco 94G AGM Battery
- Motorcraft Tested Tough Max Battery
- XS Power D3400 Battery
- Champion AGM Battery
HOW LONG WILL A CAR BATTERY LAST WITHOUT DRIVING?
Most car batteries will last about two weeks without driving.
HOW LONG DOES A CAR BATTERY LAST WITHOUT AN ALTERNATOR?
A battery will last anywhere from 30 minutes up to two hours without an alternator.